Friday, December 7, 2007

The End of the Beginning

Throughout this semester, I've written blog posts, developed logos and brochures, and learned about various ways to design visually appealing communication tools for various organizations. As a junior, I'm really diving into my major of public relations, and learning how to really be the best pr practitioner I possibly can.

Many people don't quite understand the capabilities of public relations - slightly ironic, as the point is to connect and develop relationships with the prospective audience. I have to admit that I myself didn't quite understand what my major entailed. A freshman in college with no real plans on what I wanted to major in, or what career I wanted to pursue, I chose public relations because my father runs the local school television program in my hometown (him and another teacher). He led me in the direction of communication, thinking I had a quick wit and an eye for design (the last was debatable in my mind... but I won't argue with the wit), so I enrolled in the public relations sequence with no idea of what to expect.

Now, two and a half years later, I've taken a load of classes in pr, journalism writing and a few in advertising, with a better idea of what I want to do with my life, and (thankfully) and idea of what exactly my major does. This is mainly due to the teachings of many different professors in the School of Journalism and Mass Commmunications, here at K-State. It is because of the education I've received thus far, and the opportunities I've been given in class, that I finally feel as though I chose the right major and future occupation to suite me. This last week of class in the fall semester of my junior year, and the next year and a half to come will furthur develop my skills and abilities to be the best I can be... and will signify the end of the beginning of my new life in public relations.

No comments: